Programming Languages

This is my first time building a program using Scratch.  I was familiar with it prior to this post.  My main difficulties were selecting which blocks I wanted to use and the appropriate sequence for using them.  I also experienced a short learning curve with the main application interface.  Overall, the application is intuitive and a great starting point to learn the basics of programming for beginners.  I overcame my difficulties by watching a couple of the video tutorials and through trial and error.  

The insights that I gained about programming from this exercise was the importance of sequencing and understanding what each block does and when they can be utilized. I understand the concept of machine language translating 0’s and 1’s.

My Scratch Assignment

 

The differences in programming languages is the code they use, interpret, as well as their capabilities and purpose. For example, web browsers use HTML, HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, and other programming languages to build web pages and a web browser like Firefox or Chrome interprets that code and outputs it for the user.  The same is true of C, C++, Python and Java.  They are used to create software or parts of software. Many Windows programs are built using Visual C++. Of the languages listed in the book in section 2.10 I found JavaScript the easiest to use primarily because I am somewhat familiar with it.

These are scenarios where common types of programming language would be most effective:

·         C: Is the basic building blocks of C++, Java, and JavaScript.  UNIX initially coded using C.

·         C++: Used for a variety of programs, including Windows applications and video games

·         Java: Object-oriented programming language for building client–server web applications

·         Python: Modular object-oriented programming language focused on syntax simplicity has made it a popular choice among programmers

·         JavaScript: Scripting language that adds dynamic capabilities to web pages such as redirecting a user to another page, generating a pop-up ad, or web form validation.

I think C++ and Python are the most popular programming languages in the list because many Windows applications are built on C++ and Python has gained momentum for its ability to learn, and extensibility.  Many companies are actively hiring programmers who know Python which is a testament to its flexibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Network Security

Mobile App Critique - Piwigo (Open Source Photo Management Software)